Re: Lawsuits, angry business users, and SPF stupidity.

2004-01-13 11:35:11
On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 11:23:00PM +1100, Chris Drake wrote:

| Hi Rik,
|
| 99% of the world don't own their own mail server, so your initial
| objection hopelessly misses the point.

If their ISP owns the server, it is their ISP's policy that prevails.
If the customer is unhappy, the customer can either convince the ISP
to change to a new policy, or leave and find, or start, another ISP.

| Just because you can't, after a few seconds of deliberation, think of
| a reason why you might need to accept email from me (or anyone not
| using SPF, or anyplace that SPF wrongly blocked) doesn't mean you
| won't in future.  Pretend you own a business, and don't just use email
| for your friends, and you're selling stuff on the internet (widgets
| that you sell 1 per week of, each making you $10,000 profit).  How
| happy are you going to be using SPF to automatically erase incoming
| emails from strangers?

If I sign up for a forwarded email from your service, I'd make sure I
can get that email.  I have a mailbox at bigfoot.com that is forwarded
to me, and bigfoot.com is in my list of trusted mail servers.  Two of
my customers have similar mailboxes and those are configured as well.

The relationship to accept email from bigfoot.com is one that exists
between me and bigfoot.com.

| If you cannot understand why SPF needs to go away ASAP, you should at
| least not be helping to spread it around!

If you cannot understand why SPF is essential, AND if you cannot understand
the relationship between customer and provider (where the customer is expected
to accept what services his provider provides, or not blame someone else if
he fails to), AND if you cannot understand the existing means to avoid all
these "problems", then maybe it is you who should go away ASAP.  Or maybe
you should learn to live with it, and provide services that work within in,
allowing you to make money in a changing world.

I can tell you that people like Donald Trump don't whine when things change
and don't go their way.  People like him have a history of pro-actively
figuring out not only how to deal with the changes as they are, but to also
see them as yet another way to make money when others are too busy whining
about the changes.

Prove to me you are a real businessman by getting off your duff and finding
new business models to make even more money.  I could make suggestions, but
instead, I'll be the one to make money from them if you can't figure it out.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |