Re: first spf-enabled spam

2004-04-12 13:34:15
On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 14:45, David wrote:
Absolutely.  I report every spam I receive that comes through as an SPF
pass.  So far, most organizations I'm reporting to have been very
cooperative.  SPF is enabling them to more reliably tell where the spam
originated.

the spam originates from a ip address, if that ip address is spf
enabled or not makes no difference, i see no way how spf could
enble them to more reliably tell where the spam originated

Actually, it is the domain that is SPF enabled, not the IP address.  By
publishing an SPF record for a given domain, the entity responsible for
that domain is stating that they care about accountability and are
willing to take responsibility for the hosts described by their SPF
record for emails sent by those hosts using that domain.  This indicates
to me that if I receive a spam from an address at that domain from one
of those authorized hosts, I can probably contact them about it with
fair success and having some action being taken.

--
Dustin D. Trammell
Vulnerability Remediation Alchemist