Re: first spf-enabled spam

2004-04-13 11:00:00
In <407BE017(_dot_)6020603(_at_)ols(_dot_)es> David <david(_at_)ols(_dot_)es>
writes:

but that's the same i expect from the ip owner, well, in fact:

- having a ip block is more expensive than publishing a spf record
- ip email contacts are published via whois
- spf email contacts are not published

leads me to first try to contact the ip owner, which for sure has more
probabilities to have success.

spf email contacts are the same as the domain name contacts and are
also published within the whois database.  I'm not sure why you think
that contacting the IP owner will have more success than contacting
the domain owner.  Both can be either pretty flakey or very
responsive.

However, take a look at the amount of information you get from the
whois database for the IP address that sent your email to me:

    (wayne(_at_)footbone) $ whois 208.58.1.195
    RCN Corporation RCN-BLK-5 (NET-208-58-0-0-1)
                                      208.58.0.0 - 208.59.255.255
    TELENET LLC EROLS-CUST-5117 (NET-208-58-1-192-1)
                                      208.58.1.192 - 208.58.1.207

That's not very much info, and it isn't very obvious to me how to
contact the owner of 208.58.1.195.

Now consider the domain name owner found on the SPF record:

    (wayne(_at_)footbone) $ whois pobox.com

    Whois Server Version 1.3

    Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
    with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
    for detailed information.

       Domain Name: POBOX.COM
       Registrar: DOMAINDISCOVER
       Whois Server: whois.domaindiscover.com
       Referral URL: http://www.domaindiscover.com
       Name Server: NS4.RIGHTBOX.COM
       Name Server: NS1.RIGHTBOX.COM
       Name Server: NS2.RIGHTBOX.COM
       Name Server: NS3.RIGHTBOX.COM
       Name Server: NS5.RIGHTBOX.COM
       Updated Date: 15-dec-2003
       Creation Date: 05-jan-1995
       Expiration Date: 04-jan-2005

    >>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:17:14 EDT <<<

    NOTICE: [big snip]

    Registrant:
       IC Group, Inc.
       address
       Philadelphia, PA 19103
       US

       Domain Name: POBOX.COM

       Administrative Contact:
          I C Group, Inc
          Host Master
          105 S 12th St
          Philadelphia, PA 19107-4809
          US
          888-762-6926
          hostmast(_at_)icgroup(_dot_)com

       Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
          IC Group, Inc.
          IC Group, Inc
          address
          Philadelphia, PA 19103
          US
          hostmast(_at_)icgroup(_dot_)com

       Domain created on 05-Jan-1995
       Domain expires on 03-Jan-2005
       Last updated on 11-Apr-2003

       Domain servers in listed order:

          NS1.RIGHTBOX.COM
          NS2.RIGHTBOX.COM
          NS3.RIGHTBOX.COM
          NS4.RIGHTBOX.COM
          NS5.RIGHTBOX.COM

That is a heck of a lot more information and if the information is not
correct, ICANN requires the registrar to get it fixed.

Note that while the IP addresses used by the name servers can be
changed, the actual domain names listed in the whois data and the
email addresses used as technical contacts can not be morphed as
quickly.  Moreoever any morphing leaves tracks.  Granted, some of
those tracks will need subpoenas to follow, but that is still a lot
better than tracks that lead to a hijacked PC on a cable modem.

There are already people who are quite successful at tracking spammers
by the use of "throw away domains" because of the name servers,
creation dates, and other info in the whois database.

So, while SPF can't directly force the domain owners to be more
accountable, the use of SPF will make them more accountable away.

-wayne