Re: first spf-enabled spam

2004-04-13 11:56:42
Hi !!

spf email contacts are the same as the domain name contacts and are
also published within the whois database.  I'm not sure why you think
that contacting the IP owner will have more success than contacting
the domain owner.  Both can be either pretty flakey or very
responsive.

i suspect ip whois data is more updated and reliable than domain
whois data.

However, take a look at the amount of information you get from the
whois database for the IP address that sent your email to me:

    (wayne(_at_)footbone) $ whois 208.58.1.195

> That's not very much info, and it isn't very obvious to me how to
> contact the owner of 208.58.1.195.

altough this is not my ip address, the data i can get is this one:

http://www.ols.es/scripts/example.php?query=208.58.1.195

pretty complete, with specific proper abuse contact information

That is a heck of a lot more information and if the information is not
correct, ICANN requires the registrar to get it fixed.

well, ICANN requires the registrar to get proper information, the
registrar requires the user to supply porper information, and the
user does what it likes, is more easy to control the ip block owners
that domain owners, really.

So, while SPF can't directly force the domain owners to be more
accountable, the use of SPF will make them more accountable away.

how ?

--
Best regards ...

If little else, the brain is an educational toy.

   On-Line Services 2000 S.L.       e-mail  david(_at_)ols(_dot_)es
   Pintor Vayreda 1                 telf    +34 902 50 29 75
   08184 Palau-Solita i Plegamans   movil   +34 670 35 27 53