Re: first spf-enabled spam

2004-04-13 05:41:59
Hi !!

the spam originates from a ip address, if that ip address is spf
enabled or not makes no difference, i see no way how spf could
enble them to more reliably tell where the spam originated

Actually, it is the domain that is SPF enabled, not the IP address.

sorry, spf enables an ip address to use a given domain, so the host
is spf authortized to use a given domain (that's why i wnated to mean
with spf enabled)

By publishing an SPF record for a given domain, the entity responsible for
that domain is stating that they care about accountability and are
willing to take responsibility for the hosts described by their SPF
record for emails sent by those hosts using that domain.

false, there is nothing in the draft that enforces this, nor any spf
option to say 'i care', as somebody else pointed before, this is only
what you (and also me) would expect from somebody publishing spf records.

 This indicates
to me that if I receive a spam from an address at that domain from one
of those authorized hosts, I can probably contact them about it with
fair success and having some action being taken.

but that's the same i expect from the ip owner, well, in fact:

- having a ip block is more expensive than publishing a spf record
- ip email contacts are published via whois
- spf email contacts are not published

leads me to first try to contact the ip owner, which for sure has more
probabilities to have success.

--
Best regards ...

If little else, the brain is an educational toy.

   On-Line Services 2000 S.L.       e-mail  david(_at_)ols(_dot_)es
   Pintor Vayreda 1                 telf    +34 902 50 29 75
   08184 Palau-Solita i Plegamans   movil   +34 670 35 27 53