Re: Publishing of SPF Records

2004-04-15 06:28:58
On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 03:10:12PM +0200, Stefan Engelbert wrote:
http lookups would be optional. So every mail operator could choose himself
to enable them or not......

Which sort of splits the spf community in two halves, those using http lookups
and those that do not. Better stick to a uniform policy. The basic idea is
that, given time, TXT records will be standard for every dns hoster. Es

So basically, http is not going into SPF because we don't
want it there for a billion reasons.

Who is we? Are u speaking for everyone here? Why dont we wait for other people
to give their personal comments?

I for one would not consider spf if it involved http lookups. If I change my
mail server setup, i change my mx records. I can then in the same place at the
same time change txt records. Doing it by http would involve another step. For
mailservers that don't even have http, i'd have to set up extra http servers
etc..
http runs over tcp, dns over udp.. tcp is connection-based, takes time to setup
(handshaking).. dns is connection-less.. faster, simpler..

Furthermore I agree fully with all the points made so far. Although you can
extend your counterargument that 'this is all true for dns too' to a certain
degree, the plain fact that http uses much more resources (connection state
handling, bandwidth, parsing, ....) makes this counterargument flawed imho.

It's the same reason I don't like the domainkeys approach, too much
computational load. Too much administrative hassle.

Koen