Re: Publishing of SPF Records

2004-04-15 07:50:51
I know you mean well Stefan but I happen to
think you are wrong on this one.

Stefan Engelbert wrote:

Stefan Engelbert wrote:

why that? u publish the http record ONLY if u cannot

publish the DNS
one

And _everyone_ who is serious about having working SPF-enabled mailservers has to look for it.

Why that? Nobody is forced to look for anything.
I somebody wants to include checks on small domains which have only
http spf records he can do so or leave it.

Either we do http checks or we do not. My mailserver has no way
to tell the difference between General Electric and Stephan Engelbert,
so if I am going to support an exception for you, I have to support
it for everyone or it doesn't work at all.

In the current
Side note on the publishing side: are you going to run (and maintain) a webserver on _every_ SPF protected host in your domain?

You still havent understood. ONLY if the owner of that domain has NO
access to his DNS server (which is in some countries very common)

And how is my mailserver supposed to get this critical piece of
information? If I could key on something obvious it might work,
but as it is I have no way of distinguishing between someone
who has an http-spf record and someone who has never heard
of SPF at all.

Even better. Then http records will be only used for a transitional period until and will vanish with the same speed DNS records become more available.

That would speed up the acceptance and implementation of

SPF records..

Nice try, but there is no such thing as a _temporary_ hack when defining a protocol, and the worst, ugliest hacks are the ones with the greatest staying power.

Who speaks about an ugly hack? If it would be an ugly hack I wouldnt
discuss it here....

Sorry, but that is what it is given current realities.
It is a hack because it tries to work around a social problem
with a technical solution.
It is an ugly hack because it will cause worse problems than it solves.

--
Daniel Taylor          VP Operations            Vocal Laboratories, Inc.
dtaylor(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com   http://www.vocalabs.com/