Re: Counter proposal [Re: Publishing of SPF Records]

2004-04-15 08:21:38
Daniel Taylor wrote:

For domains that cannot publish TXT records:
Publish one of the following as a CNAME record for the domain:
spfdefault-weak
spfdefault-soft
spfdefault-strict

These would indicate the desire but inability to publish
a proper SPF record.

spfdefault-weak would indicate "v=spf1 a mx ?all"
spfdefault-soft would indicate "v=spf1 a mx ~all"
spfdefault-strict would indicate "v=spf1 a mx -all"

I exclude PTR records from this as I assume that if you
can't publish TXT you are unlikely to have authoritative PTR
capability as well.

Admittedly this only doubles the load on an SPF-checker, but once you multiply the proportion of all domain users that can create CNAME but not TXT (unknown, but pretty small - I'll be very generous and estimate 5%) by the proportion of users that use one of the above records (5% of those known by spf.infinitepenguins.net), you have an expected usage of about 1 in 400 spf-publishing domains (say 1 in 4000 of all domains if SPF takeup increases by a factor of 10).

Don't think it's worth, it really.

        Wechsler