Re: The New SPF: introducing RFROM

2004-05-24 13:03:49
"Justin" == Justin Mason <jm(_at_)jmason(_dot_)org> writes:

    Justin> to be recorded, can we change that from a "Resent-Sender"
    Justin> header

Most of the time we're looking at the From header.  But if the message
has a Sender, then it was sent by the Sender on behalf of the person
named in the From, so it's the sender we need to look at when checking
the IP address.

Some MUAs allow message to be resent (not forwarded).  This is not
common functionality, but it does exist, and it is used.  When a
message is resent, the sender leaves the From (and any Sender) headers
intact, and adds a Resent-From (and possibly a Resent-Sender).  In the
case of a message that's been resent, therefore, it's the Resent-From
and/or Resent-Sender that specifies who sent the message.

All this stems from RFC822; there's really no opportunity to change
it.

        -roy