Re: The New SPF: introducing RFROM

2004-05-24 14:56:32
"Meng" == Meng Weng Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com>
writes:

    Meng> Do we have a good understanding of which M*As will prepend
    Meng> and which will append the Resent-* headers?  Mutt, I think,
    Meng> will append.  Appending is more trouble than prepending,
    Meng> because it screws up the linear-chronology assumption.

VM in it's default configuration (which invokes /usr/lib/sendmail to
send the mail) just prepends Resent-Message-ID, Resent-To and
Resent-Date.  It relies on /usr/lib/sendmail to prepend the
Resent-From.  This works when /usr/lib/sendmail is sendmail, but may
not work with other implementation.

In particular, if VM is configured to use TMDA's sendmail wrapper,
then things go _horribly_ wrong.  TMDA decides that the sender of the
message is the person listed in the From (there being no Resent-From)
and then computes the envelope sender from that.  So the message goes
out with an incorrect envelope sender.  The MTA then adds a
Resent-From based on the envelope sender.

            -roy