Re: Logo aka branding aka identity issue

2004-05-26 15:56:25
On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 17:27, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 12:59:09PM -0700, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

Can we do a new one?  If so - are there any artists out there, or any
ideas for what the log should look like, or "do" or say etc?

I have ideas on the "do", but...You're right in that we will really will
need real artist on the actual design.  (People who understand the
artistic requirements of logos.)

How about an authority figure -- like the logo at airports for immigration
or customs?

Or, we can emphasize that we'll prevent fraud: How about a big red screweye
on top of the silhouette of a shady character in an overcoat? "SPF fights
fraud" or something like that.

Shouldn't the logo emphasis on positive behaviour in stead of negative?

Good idea.

Be careful with the big thumbs up, that doesn't mean the same around
the world but it is the first that came in my mind.  Perhaps something
similar that has a global (positive) meaning.

Here's an idea using a completely different take on the issue.

SPF is fundamentally a forgery detection method:  If you go by a
domain's SPF rules, you can know that you can "trust" the sender.

The technical details are unimportant as far as logos go.  In fact, even
most of the nontechnical results are not really so important.

So let's ask "What ideas do potential (legitimate) *senders* want to get
across?" and then radically prune the answers down to a single, simple
idea.

Here's one possible result:

                     "You can trust me."

The logo needn't refer to *why* the sender could be trusted, or why we
can now detect forgeries purporting to be him, or any of the technical
reasons for either of these things.

It especially doesn't need to even imply that the recipient has to do
any work.  (Magnifying glasses and wax seals imply that someone has to
look through the magnifying glass, or someone has to examine the wax
seal.  (Though I'm still partial to both ideas actually--I'm just trying
to make this one sound good.  :-)  ))

But a simple notion that "You can trust me", turns everything positive,
making the sender a friend of yours, and you don't have to work a bit!

So that leaves the question of what images and ideas promote the idea of
trusting the person in front of you.

Well, historically handshakes, open arms, and open hands have that
association.  Can that be incorporate in a logo with an envelope?

Perhaps:

o  Envelope being presented to the recipient with outstretched,
   open hands?

        \   \   /   /
         +---------+
        (|         |)
         +---------+
          \\\\ ////

   (The ASCII art leaves something to be desired, but you get the idea.)

   (As an aside, this is my favorite of the bunch.)

o  An envelope being handed to the recipient, with only the sender
   holding the envelope.

o  An envelope being handed to the recipient, with both the sender
   and recipient holding the envelope--looking almost as if the
   two parties are shaking each other's hands, just separated by
   the length of the envelope.

   (This is also somewhat reminiscent of a message hand-delivered
   by a courier, which is also a trustable sort of idea.)

--
Mark Shewmaker
mark(_at_)primefactor(_dot_)com