Re: SPF is not usable as legal measure against spammers.

2004-07-14 19:38:21
[John Keown]
That is why and where smtp authentication comes into play. With smtp
authentication the hijacker cannot authenticate and therefore cannot send
from example.com return address.

FYI.
nslookup -q=txt gmail.com
gmail.com       text = "v=spf1 a:mproxy.gmail.com a:rproxy.gmail.com -all"

Results? SPF requires me to use gmail.com web-mail interface not only for
incoming mails, but for outgoing also.
No way for legit user to send mail with "From: myname(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com"
using local
ISP smtp server.
But this is legal forgery currently.

Even more ads, even more profits for GMail.

Who is happy? Me or Gmail?

After a few years of SPF usage GMail will have strong reason to deny
per-user DK keys.
But currently we still can diligently _ask_ them to provide them.

--
Andriy G. Tereshchenko
TAG Software