Re: SPF is not usable as legal measure against spammers.

2004-07-15 11:37:01

Jonathan Gardner wrote:
| On Wednesday 14 July 2004 07:38 pm, Andriy G. Tereshchenko wrote:
|
|>>[John Keown]

|>>FYI.
|>>nslookup -q=txt gmail.com
|>>gmail.com       text = "v=spf1 a:mproxy.gmail.com a:rproxy.gmail.com
|>>-all"
|>>
|>>Results? SPF requires me to use gmail.com web-mail interface not only for
|>>incoming mails, but for outgoing also.
|>>No way for legit user to send mail with "From: myname(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com"
using
|>>local ISP smtp server.
|>>But this is legal forgery currently.
|>>
|>>Even more ads, even more profits for GMail.
|>>
|>>Who is happy? Me or Gmail?
|>>
|>>After a few years of SPF usage GMail will have strong reason to deny
|>>per-user DK keys.
|>>But currently we still can diligently _ask_ them to provide them.
|>>

| Gmail: If you want a gmail.com email address, you'll have to use our
| services.
|
| Andriy: I don't want to use your services.
|
| Gmail: Then you can't have a gmail.com email address.
|
| Andriy: Okay, fine, I'll use your services.
|
| Gmail: Here's your email address.
|
| Andriy: Hey, how come I have to use your services to use my email address?
|
| Gmail: ??? ... because it is our name and we say so? That was the
original
| agreement, was it not?
|
| Andriy: It's not fair!
|
| Gmail: And fair would be using our name without our permission?
|
| Andriy: I'm not happy!
|
| Gmail: I never promised to make you happy.
|
| Andriy: If I'm not happy, you shouldn't be happy!
|
| Gmail: Are you going to try and punish us for executing a contract you
made
| with us? Where is the justice and fairness in that?
|
| I'd comment on years of communist dictatorships and the effects on common
| sense, but I think the wall has been down long enough to render any of
that
| irrelevant.

He-he!

There is only one thing you left out...

Andriy: What you are doing is immoral and against the public good!

Gmail: By whose standards?

Andriy: By mine!

Gmail: Why do you think it's wrong?

Andriy: I "feel" that it's wrong and besides... you owe it to me... I'm
just a little guy and you're a great big huge company with lots of
resources and money.

Gmail: Oye....

- --
Chuck Mead