Re: SPF is not usable as legal measure against spammers.

2004-07-15 11:18:59

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 07:38 pm, Andriy G. Tereshchenko wrote:
[John Keown]

That is why and where smtp authentication comes into play. With smtp
authentication the hijacker cannot authenticate and therefore cannot
send from example.com return address.

FYI.
nslookup -q=txt gmail.com
gmail.com       text = "v=spf1 a:mproxy.gmail.com a:rproxy.gmail.com
-all"

Results? SPF requires me to use gmail.com web-mail interface not only for
incoming mails, but for outgoing also.
No way for legit user to send mail with "From: myname(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com"
using
local ISP smtp server.
But this is legal forgery currently.

Even more ads, even more profits for GMail.

Who is happy? Me or Gmail?

After a few years of SPF usage GMail will have strong reason to deny
per-user DK keys.
But currently we still can diligently _ask_ them to provide them.

Gmail: If you want a gmail.com email address, you'll have to use our
services.

Andriy: I don't want to use your services.

Gmail: Then you can't have a gmail.com email address.

Andriy: Okay, fine, I'll use your services.

Gmail: Here's your email address.

Andriy: Hey, how come I have to use your services to use my email address?

Gmail: ??? ... because it is our name and we say so? That was the original
agreement, was it not?

Andriy: It's not fair!

Gmail: And fair would be using our name without our permission?

Andriy: I'm not happy!

Gmail: I never promised to make you happy.

Andriy: If I'm not happy, you shouldn't be happy!

Gmail: Are you going to try and punish us for executing a contract you made
with us? Where is the justice and fairness in that?

I'd comment on years of communist dictatorships and the effects on common
sense, but I think the wall has been down long enough to render any of that
irrelevant.

- --
Jonathan M. Gardner
Mass Mail Systems Developer, Amazon.com