Re: Opening Debate on SPF vs. SenderKeys

2004-08-20 11:47:57
From: "AccuSpam" <support(_at_)accuspam(_dot_)com>

But I learned that was not buttering my bread as much as adding more
features that work in IE.

I don't think anyone would argue with that - but make sure it works in the
other browsers too.

AccuSpam is *NOT* like any of these.

But this is off-topic of comparing SenderKeys and SPF.  SenderKeys
is designed to work independent of AccuSpam or a particular anti-spam
technology.  It does complement AccuSpam well though.

OK so what *are* we talking about here  - - AccuSpam or SenderKeys?

You have very neatly avoided answering one of the crucial non-technical
questions.  Who is controlling this system and it's white/black_lists?

Does any one have anything substantive to say about SPF vs. SenderKeys?

I am growing rather bored talking about browsers and all the things that
AccuSpam
is not.

I discovered very quickly that this mail-list will respond well to you if
you are totally up-front with you background/sponsor/employer/whatever *and*
that you demonstrate a high level of competence in you work.  The website is
your work, and it's not good - fact.  You might think it's lovely - but in
this community we all look at things differently - and if the "product"
can't cope with such scrutiny - it's not welcomed - as you will have
noticed.

Is there a mail-list for senderkeys or accuspam (whichever we are meant to
be discussing) .  If you post that in the same way as several other private
projects have done, some of this community may well join it and discuss your
system with you in the way you would like.  Please don't offer a forum -
that's been aired and you would be well advised to stick to mail-lists.

Technically - anything that's going to mean an upgrade of MUA's is going to
have to do a huge amount of patching *and* make it *dead-easy* to apply.  At
that level you will be dealing with people who are point-and-click capable
only, and if it doesn't work first time every time on every operating system
on all types of hardware with all the rest of the software that the user
will have installed to mess around with his mail - well - I'm sure you get
the picture.

The most unwelcome part of your proposal - in my view - is the notion that I
might be blacklisted because I refuse to join in.  What happens to me then?
Am I doomed to be included on your blacklist?  Am I forced to get some
system on my MUA which might or might not cost me money, either now or in
the future?  I am a small-user and I want a minimum work, zero cost facility
that will tell me that the mail arriving in my inbox is actually from the
domain that it says it is.  That's all I want - and that's what spf is
working up to.  The jury is out on subdomains and some other issues, but
it'll be sorted out soon, I'm sure.

Fighting spam is *not* about centralised white and black listing.  Your idea
of spam is different to mine, and I don't want to apply your rules, I want
to apply mine. With unforged mail - that becomes infinitely easier.

Slainte,

JohnP.
johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com
ICQ 313355492