Re: Opening Debate on SPF vs. SenderKeys

2004-08-20 10:35:29
Shelby,
The key thing for you to realize is that the people who tune in to
this mailing list make their living trying to solve the spam
problem. Insulting them in any way will not work to your benefit.

Here's a suggestion that I think could save everyone time and
hopefully advance your idea in a meaningful way: Write an RFC-type
document summarizing the SenderKeys approach and post it somewhere on
your site -- no browser issues with a text file.

By conforming to the IETF's standard document format, you'll allow
people to quickly understand what SenderKeys is all about. And their
feedback will be exceptionally valuable to you in defining whatever it
is you are planning to sell.

If you have a patent pending on the technique, you'll still be able to
cash out once the full patent is written and the technique is in
widespread use. Forget about trying to license it up front... That's
for really big companies like Microsoft.

TTUL
Ken

AccuSpam [21/08/04 01:35 +0800]:
At a minimum you need to check IE5.5/Win to get yourself up over 80%

Afaik, AccuSpam.com is reasonably well tested with IE5, IE5.5, IE6 forward.
It seems reasonable that more effort will be put into testing with other
browsers in future.

I am using IE5.5 on WinME on this notebook and IE6 on WinXP SP1 on the other
one.
As well others who work here...etc...afaik none of us use Mozilla...sorry we
all run Windows...
sorry to disappoint you that we are not part of the "save Mozilla" crowd...

Hey my mother uses the old Netscape 4.x and she will run Mozilla 6 if NS4.x
crashes on a web page.
Does that qualify me for political correctness in this forum?  :-)

I used to run NS4.x and Mozilla eons ago.  I even used to design Cool Page to
work with them:

http://coolpage.com

But I learned that was not buttering my bread as much as adding more features
that work in IE.

It is just reality.  Get over it.  I did.  I am done crying about the demise
of Netscape.  End of story.

It wouldn't take you very long to fix your site so it looks good on
other browsers

My point is substantive debate is more useful to SPF and anti-forgery.
Talking about browsers is not very useful any more and certainly not
relevant to anti-forgery of e-mail.

Viewability in XYZ browser should not be a pre-requisite to substantive debate
about SPF and other e-mail anti-forgery proposals, e.g. SenderKeys.

I see it perhaps as a ploy to avoid substantive debate.  Anyway, let's move on
to technical discussion of SPF and SenderKeys please.

Yup IE does jump through hoops to make non-standards compliant,
extreamly buggy code look reasonable

It helps when we make a typo such as "extreamly" that the web does not break.

We call that robust in computer science.

since AccuSpam makes use of challenge-response technology

ACCUSPAM IS *****NOT******* A CHALLENGE RESPONSE ANTI-SPAM.

The only time AccuSpam issues a challenge is
if the recipient had chosen to blacklist the sender in the past.

would be interested in your providing a comparison between your product
and some challenge-response-based systems such as TMDA

AccuSpam sends a response to senders who are not on whitelist, but it is
not a challenge.  It is just like any other auto-response that says "Got your
email and will reply asap".

So AccuSpam is *NOT* the same "C/R" technology as used by C/R anti-spam.
The others are challenging every sender who is not on whitelist.

Others include 0Spam.com, SpamArrest.com, Mailblocks.com, (and many more
copycats), and option feature at many ISPs such as Earthlink.net, etc.

AccuSpam is *NOT* like any of these.

But this is off-topic of comparing SenderKeys and SPF.  SenderKeys
is designed to work independent of AccuSpam or a particular anti-spam
technology.  It does complement AccuSpam well though.

Off topic because discussion is about SenderKeys vs. SPF, but
I understand your curiousity as long as no one else accuses me
of trying to talk about AccuSpam.  You asked.  It would probably
be more appropriate (in consideration this is the SPF forum) to ask
me questions about AccuSpam in the AccuSpam forum.

your version of Eudora is breaking the Reply-To: mechanism

Again off topic, but Eudora is not doing that.  I am because I
selected to get all replies as a daily summary when I joined the list,
not individual emails.  It is an option on SPF discuss list signup in case
you did
not know.

Does any one have anything substantive to say about SPF vs. SenderKeys?

I am growing rather bored talking about browsers and all the things that
AccuSpam
is not.

Thanks,
Shelby