Re: Apache Foundation and SenderID

2004-09-03 10:48:15

----- Original Message -----
From: "guy" <pobox(_at_)watkins-home(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 7:38 PM
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Apache Foundation and SenderID

I have a few problems with the SPF "standard".

1. -all is not required.  It should be required, but maybe not today,
maybe
by 2006, maybe by 2010!  But at some point it should be a requirement.
When
I receive email, I should be able to determine if it comes from a valid
server for that domain.  Not: well it could be, may be not, I think so,
should I ask a friend?  I understand the flexibility is needed for now,
but
it should not be needed forever!

Sorry Guy - it'll never happen - there's no such thing as "required".  What
are you going to do to someone who doesn't do what he's told? Apart from not
reading his e-mails there's no compulsion possible.

2. SPF records are optional.  This is crazy.  Maybe for now, but again, by
say 2006 SPF should be required.  MX records are required (I think) to
receive email.  So there is nothing wrong with having a requirement to
send
email.  Sure, not today, but sometime in the future.  Also, the SPF record
should become a new record type, and stop using the TXT record at some
pint
in time.  After all, most domains never process email.

MX records are not required. I remember reading somewhere - possibly even on
this list - about exactly that.  Try setting up a domain without one and
then use the mail :-)

Other than the above, I like SPF!

Good, good :-)  Use it, advertise it, recommend it, work on it, enhance it,
publicise it, ......  Just ignore all the rest of the nonsense.

Slainte,

JohnP.
johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com
ICQ 313355492