Re: purely dual-format approach

2004-10-31 10:45:23
In <20041030063130(_dot_)GU1135(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> Meng Weng
Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 02:02:56AM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

| OK, let's run a thought experiment so we can think this
| through.
|
| Suppose we renegotiate and the agreement is that MS PRA stuff
| will not use v=spf1 records for PRA scope checking.  MS will
| tell people to publish spf2.0/pra, and the SPF community
| will tell people to publish v=spf1.
|
| What will senders do?

I basically answered this question in these two posts:
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200410/1283.html
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200410/1309.html

However, those answers were filled with analysis and facts, so I'll
answer much more directly this time.

| What will senders do?

I think senders will do basically the same thing as they have in the
past.  In particular, they do not seem to be adopting either CallerID
nor SenderID, despite MS's PR efforts.

"Senders" can be broken down into multiple segment, so for
the sake of clarity I will list some of the main ones.

1) ESPC

ESPCs should, in theory, be quite clueful about email since that is
their business.  Based on past performance, I think that if they
publish anything, they are more likely to publish SPF records and may
also publish SenderID records.  Being clueful, they may also not
publish SenderID records or opt out of SenderID because of the higher
error rate with SenderID.

2) ISPs

Based on past performance, I think that if they publish anything, they
will publish SPF records.

3) folks in the SPF community who know the difference
   between PRA and mail-from

Based on past performance, I think that they will publish SPF records
and object to any use of the v=spf1 records for the PRA.  I also think
they will not opt-out of the PRA any more than they opt-out of spam
and other forms of abuse.

3) enterprises and domain owners who don't know the
   difference between PRA and mail-from

Based on past performance, I think that if they publish anything, they
will publish SPF records.

-wayne