Re: Slides & stepping back

2004-11-07 08:29:08
On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 16:11 +0100, Koen Martens wrote:
Hi All,

Two points:

- Tuesday I am speaking at a conference organised by the Foundation for
  a Free Information Infrastructure on software patents. I will be
  talking about 20 minutes about the SPF/SenderID story, and will
  take part in the subsequent panel discussion. I have put the slides
  online already, comments welcome. Url:
      http://spf.sonologic.nl/ffii-pre1.pdf

Thank you for the post, looking at your slides now.

- As of yet, i'm stepping back. I will stop writing software for spf,
  will stop the plans we had with the authorative site. I will continue
  to do the end-user support on spf-help and the rt for a couple of
  weeks, if things haven't improved by then i'll quit with that too and
  take down my spf records.

Here is why:

I'm quite fed up with the core group of spf. Wayne and Markl refusing to
work together on a draft/rfc/whatever, and more importantly: James
Couzens taking over every initiative and James C & Shevek continuously
fighting with each other making any real initiative impossible a priori.
Add to that the doubts about the ms-connection, and i have really had
enough. For the past two weeks I have been trying, and I have failed.
There is no motivation left. Good job, James!

Well guys, good luck with your little in-fighting club. It is with pain
in my heart that I do this, but you have left me no other option. I
don't want to go down personally because of your continuous attempts at
derailment. I am so fed up with this, it makes me depressed.

I for one am sorry to hear you say this. I tend to agree with you on
several points, however i am not in agreement with laying a boat-load of
blame on James. For whatever reasons people may disagree with James, or
the manner in which he "does" things, i have to say, at least he makes
an attempt to keep things moving forward. Now, having said that, i do
wholeheartedly agree that this IN FIGHTING has got to stop. That was one
of the most impressive things about this group when i first started
looking at it, was the ability for such a diverse group to get together
and actually WORK as a team. We had momentum, we had a vision, albeit
not ALL on the same track, but all of us moving towards one unified
vision. We seem to have lost that vision, and i dearly want to see it
back.

I feel a lot of this is in part due to Meng's position, or should i say
partial lack-of position regarding this group and all its efforts. I
personally applaud Meng for all his personal time and effort in all the
things he does. But i feel as a "leader" Meng has done little to help
keep us together as a group and on track with a common unified vision
(aka goal).

Koen, i would be saddened to see you depart. I have often read your
posts and feel you are an important part of this group as a whole, and i
implore you to please reconsider your position and HELP THE REST OF US
GET THIS GROUP BACK TO WHERE WE NEED IT TO BE.

Regards
Michael Weiner
The UserFriendly Network (UFN)

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features