Re: Initial Voting Procedures (updated 23:15pm Nov14 2004)

2004-11-16 15:59:13
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, jpinkerton wrote:

One small point - -

I will not be able to summarise the results by everyone's identities because
there are quite a few who have not registered a "pretty name" on the list.
This means I only have their e-mail address and I can't use those in public.

It's up to you people who *do* have a "pretty name" - do you mind being
named when others are not?

I don't actually mind having my email address exposed, as long as the list
isn't left up on the web for a long time for crawlers to find.  Most of the
people voting have posted before so their email address can be found in the
archives and de-munged, right?

Perhaps you could publish as
First Last  username@      (if name is known)
username@                  (if no name)

If the first part of the username is not unique either, you could publish
user(_at_)xy and user(_at_)ab (using the first two letters of the domain name).

I also don't have a strong preference for publishing or not publishing the
votes.  If they are not published they could be given to one or two people who
would like to take on the task of verifying the results.  (Just throwing ideas
out there... I can go either way.)

And how does someone who does not have a "pretty name" check their vote on
the summary?  The only way I can see around this is that they'll have had
the confirmation e-mail of their vote and can query me personally, and I'll
manually check the list.

I think the reply message is probably enough for most cases.

--
Greg Connor
gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org

Everyone says that having power is a great responsibility.  This is a lot
of bunk.  Responsibility is when someone can blame you if something goes
wrong.  When you have power you are surrounded by people whose job it is
to take the blame for your mistakes.  If they're smart, that is.
                -- Cerebus, "On Governing"