RE: Initial Voting Procedures (updated 23:15pm Nov 14 2004)

2004-11-16 18:35:57
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Julian Mehnle wrote:

There is one other issue that we need to decide on - the case when two
or more people get the same number of votes and one of more of those
would qualify for the council but not all. Typically this is resolved
by coin toss but we cant really do that and I would suggest that the
person(s) who first accepted nomination get to be on the council (i.e.
as having slightly more interest in serving and slightly more active).
Please reply if have strong opinion against doing it this way and
preference for something else.

"Typically this is resolved by coin toss"?  Ok, at least you did not say
"usually". ;-)

Also, being the first to accept nomination hardly implies higher
dedication.  You know, people (including the candidates) actually do have
a life outside this mailing list.  The tie breaking method you are
suggesting is weird, I'd even prefer random selection over it. ;-)

Seriously, if there's a tie, let the candidate who got the most votes
break it.
What if they all get te same number of votes?

Seriously the way to resolve it should not depend on existing election.
It is either some kind of agreed random selection method or its based
on their name or something else that is known to be unique.

I personally don't any serious preference so if any don't like the time
of acepting nomination idea, give your own and if you have at least two
other people who agree with you I think we should go for it (and hopefully
we'll not have to use it anyway - but we must be prepared just in case).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks