Re: Sendmail white paper

2004-11-20 11:09:52
On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 12:58 -0500, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
Sadly, yes.  I am now forced to reject on softfail by default as a result.

Who is publishing these whitepapers?  If you can't make your users
authenticate, then publish ?all.  ~all is for testing.  Whoever
is telling people to use ~all instead of ?all is shifting the meaning.

However, the new meaning is not completely unreasonable.  The original
spec said to treat neutral exactly the same as none.  But, I have
always treated neutral differently because it indicates that the
domain owner at least has an SPF record.  For instance, I block neutral from
some commonly forged domains like aol.com.

So, it seems that softfail is shifting from its original intent of
testing an SPF deployment before publishing -all, to something like
how I was treating neutral.

I would have to agree with you here, it certainly does seem to have a
new meaning (does the wizard still use the old definition? meaning ~all
= testing). And i would also tend to agree with the way you are treating
it, problem is, its getting harder and harder to tell who is "testing"
an implementation and who is just not willing to go to the -all for
other reasons.

I dunno...

Michael

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features