Re: [spf-discuss] back to Reclassifying Sender ID and SPF as Historic - was: New SPF Council

2009-01-20 12:12:13
Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

2: get rid of TXT. It was nice to experiment with, but now that we have our own resource record type, it should be used exclusively. During some amount of time, say a couple of years, the TXT RR could function as a fall back, but it should be clear that this is going to be phased out.

If that's the way to go, perhaps it is better to do it right in the new RFC. It should aim at the standard track, replacing the experimental 4408.

Of course, I agree that the new spec shall strive for compatibility and ease of migration as far as possible. However, we must not fear to learn lessons from the experimental phase. I think John Leslie expresses the thoughts of many of the well-disposed SPF users when he writes:

"   SPF has been due for its 2-year review (of Experimental Status)
" for a while now. Hopefully it will get a useful review, and I choose
" to hope it will get enough of an overhaul to become useful.
http://www.irtf.org/pipermail/asrg/2009-January/004525.html