Re[2]: [spf-discuss] back to Reclassifying Sender ID and SPF as Historic - was: New SPF Council

2009-01-23 19:51:59
I  would  not argue with your wishful thinking, but that's not what we
should deal with here.

I really don't think it a case of wishful thinking to suggest that moving the
spec to 99/SPF as the primary request type over TXT.  It is the logical path
where things will eventually go.

My point was that it should take place now in the SPF spec, because it
encourages the right behavior in implementations and guidance for those who
implement SPF.  The folks who implement DNS were kind enough to establish
99/SPF RRs for this very group, it might be nice for the SPF standard to keep
moving things forward by promoting their use.

The standard needs to declare the long term goals and direction, and what
is "preferred" (i.e. "correct")  Putting the new RR in the new spec
is the right thing to do.

That said, keeping the TXT records around is essential.  No matter how new
people's DNS servers are, changing thousands (or millions?) of domains will
require work to be done by a very large number of people, and updating their
TXT RR to SPF RR is not likely to be on the top of their lists.

It is simply not going to be completed any time soon.

From my POV, we should push for the SPF RR, but recognize that the TXT
records are going to be required in any usable implementations for
a very long time.

-dgl-