Re: [spf-discuss] back to Reclassifying Sender ID and SPF as Historic - was: New SPF Council

2009-01-20 13:46:49
I would also echo support for the dropping of the TXT RR in favor of the SPF RR in DNS host files. As SPF moves from an experimental phase to a standards track, the standard should certainly fully encourage the adoption and use of the SPF RR created specifically for its use by the DNS standards participants.

Given the issue discovered in DNS last year, which essentially required suppliers of DNS server software to address and update their software, one would think that any serious DNS operators would have migrated to the new fixed DNS server versions. One would also think that suppliers of DNS servers would also have added support for SPF RR as a valid and accepted RR type in current DNS software per the RFCs governing standards for DNS in their current releases. Thus on most all DNS servers, one might conclude that there should already be direct support the SPF RR.

The only other concern I could foresee regards support for the SPF RR requests from SMTP server software suppliers already supporting SPF. In order to continue to supporting existing host file records not updated to the SPF RR, those servers must support a "dual track" TXT and SPF RR for host files. That said, as part of the new standard, it should be made clear that the SPF RR must be the first checked RR followed by the TXT RR.

Once those who maintain SPF TXT records in their host files begin to observe the trend for SPF RR requests being issued first and then followed by the TXT RR requests (presuming they do not have an SPF RR setup in their host files), they will add the SPF RR to avoid the extra request pattern on their DNS servers.

Thus over time, the need to maintain a TXT record in host files should naturally diminish without impacting or breaking existing environments.

Best,

Alan Maitland