RE: RE: [Asrg] Some data on the validity of MAIL FROM addresses

2003-05-21 06:44:39
 b) The amount of horse power needed to process mail increases.  Our
    stats show that roughly 40% of our inbound SMTP connections refer
    to multiple recipients.

And another thing (sorry) how much of this is spam?

Don't know.  But that shouldn't matter, as you still have to scan the
messages to see if they're spam, irrespective of whether it's one
recipient or 10 recipients.

We're a pretty small mail system - I had a quick look at a (I hope
representative) set of 50000 incoming messages. We delivered these to
12843 mailboxes 774 (1.5%) had multiple recipients.

Of course many of these distinct messages will have come down the same
*connection*. There's no possiblity that there's confusion
here is there?

This is so much at odds with the figures you report that I'm going to
really (no, really this time) check my script.

In the 24 hour time window I looked at, one of our servers received just
over 300,000 distinct inbound DATA transactions, some for one recipient,
some for multiple recipients.  Had they been one-recipient-per-transaction
it would have been slightly more than 500,000 DATA transactions.

I've just run some analysis across multiple sets of log files (multiple
hosts, multiple days), and see there's quite some variance depending on
the day of the week and the relative MX weight of the host, anywhere
between 15% and 43% of the inbound traffic having multiple recipients.

Part of that may well be due to our userbase (lots of people signed up
to many, many mailing lists).  Our Internet facing mail servers have
differing MXs so that we can (a) determine what the maximum throughput
we can expect from a particular class of host is, and (b) see whether we
get more spam coming through the higher weight MXs.  We consistently do
see more spam being sent to the higher weight MXs, which suggests that
spammers target them in the hope that they're less likely to have
anti-spam filtering in place.

1        1         2         3         4         5         6         7    7
         0         0         0         0         0         0         0    5
                                                    -- The 75 column-ometer
Global Messaging,                 A: Top posting
120 Cheapside, x83331             Q: What's the most annoying e-mail habit?