Re: [Asrg] Please critique my anti-spam system

2004-12-05 11:09:45

Billions of spam are sent each day and the problem is getting
worse. I believe that this system will profoundly decrease email
traffic by
eliminating spam.  In time as spam is controlled the number of bounces
will decrease.

The response of spammers to better blocks and filters has been to send
more spam. If I want to ensure that 100 user get my spam, and a 90%
effective filter is commonly used, then I send out 1000 messages. If the
filter is 99% effective, I send out 10000.

This is not a content filter.  If the spammer doesn't have your email address
then the spammer can't send you spam.  There is no reason for the spammer to
increase the spam load.  Sending spam to a very effective filter is not futile.
 Sending spam to a non-existent address is completely futile so the spammer
will stop doing it.

The text in these bounces is generic.  An email service provider can alter
the content of the message to a generic Chinese message if the user
wishes.  The instructions for the CAPTCHA can be created in a hundred
different languages - the user can decide which one to see.

How do I know which language my sender will prefer? Particularly if the
sender is a new correspondent. If I set my system up to send out such
bounces in say, Hindi, and you don't understand it at all, how would
that situation be handled?

The text in these bounces is generic.  My email provider can recognize one of
these generic bounces and substitute the generic Hindi message with an
identicle generic English message.  I'm sure that others can think of other
similar ways to handle this situation.

Even if this process did not happen then I doubt it would be a big problem.  If
your system sends out bounces in Hindi then whoever is trying to correspond
with you also likely speaks Hindi.  People who cannot read each others language
at all rarely correspond via email.

Michael Kaplan