Re: [Asrg] Please critique my anti-spam system

2004-12-05 11:02:16
On 2004-12-05 12:20:42 -0500, Michael Kaplan wrote:
From: "Seth Breidbart" <sethb(_at_)panix(_dot_)com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:49:27 -0500 (EST)

"Michael Kaplan" <mkaplansolution(_at_)lycos(_dot_)com> top-posted:

2 - Innocent victims can only be sent bounces if spammers know their
address to begin with, and if you use this system then spammers
can't forge your address.  It would also be a simple matter for a
email service provider to filter out this bounces if the user did
not initiate a email to the corresponding address.

So two people using your system could never communicate.

I thought that the issue that you were bringing up was the following:
A spammer forges your address and sends out a million pieces of spam
and you subsequently get an enormous number of bounces as per my
system.
I suggest that this won't be an issue as your email service provider
will only allow you to receive one of these special bounces if you had
just sent out the corresponding email.

This is - to the best of my knowledge - not standard behaviour among
email service providers today.

So in effect you are saying: "Sure, my system will annoy almost
everybody today, but if they adopt my system or start filtering bounces,
they won't be bothered any more."

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Je höher der Norden, desto weniger wird
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | überhaupt gesprochen, also auch kein Dialekt.
| |   | hjp(_at_)hjp(_dot_)at         | Hallig Gröde ist fast gänzlich
dialektfrei.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |   -- Hannes Petersen in desd