Re: [Asrg] UCEPROTECT's comment on draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-07

2011-02-28 11:50:27
I was on the fence about this one and somewhat conflicted. After
reading all of the various postings I find myself solidly on the side
of "MUST NOT".

What has convinced me are Two groups of postings:

1) The postings pointing out the difference between protecting users
from SPAM vs punishing senders;
2) The postings pointing out that charging for "pay to play" is the
exception rather than the rule and that various BLs which had used
"pay to play" have moved away from this approach.

Despite Claus claiming that "pay to play" as implemented by UCEPROTECT
is a Current Best Practice, I find nothing in his posts to support
that it is indeed a best practice (other than his unsubstantiated
assertion).

Having said the above, I believe that it is possible for "pay to play"
to potentially be an acceptable practice if properly implemented. This
does NOT make such a paractice a "Best Practice".