Re: [Asrg] UCEPROTECT's comment on draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-07

2011-02-28 15:32:17
On 2/28/2011 3:48 PM, Steve Linford wrote:
Gentlemen,

The argument in favour of charging fees to blacklisted entities to remove them from blacklists is
clutching at straws. Punishing "lusers" for getting their PCs trojanned is an extremely
poor practice and one that can not even remotely be described as a "good practice".

There's no question in my mind that if the BCP purpose is to define the *best* practice then the
correct wording is "MUST" and not "SHOULD".

To bring people up to date of the level of debate that Claus has descended to.

Imagine my surprise at starting to get UCEProtect delisting requests at my corporate mailbox. CC'd to the co-author of the BCP.

Go take a gander at http://www.uceprotect.net/en/contact.php.

Which says (straight cut-and-paste):

Warning strike, no manual removals and no tickets at this time, sorry !

The employees of UCEPROTECT strike at present. The system runs on autopilot and there is currently no one available to manually unlist your IP.

At 04 January 2011 the ASRG decided BCP07 for DNSBLs, which prohibits in paragraph 2.2.5 blacklists to offer paid immediate removals. Should this BCP obtain the status of an RCF, then it is possible that expedited express delistings wold no longer be available and thus endanger our jobs.

If you would like to thank the authors of BCP07 for DNSBLs and the guys at ASRG for, that your IP will now stay blacklisted up to the automatic expiration date, please contact following addresses:

Authors of BCP07 for DNSBLs:

Chris Lewis
Nortel Networks
Email: clewis(_at_)nortel(_dot_)com

and

Matt Sergeant
MessageLabs, Inc
Email: msergeant(_at_)messagelabs(_dot_)com

We also recommend to subscribe yourself to the ASRG mailing list, and then to demand that the paragraph 2.2.5 has to be deleted form BCP07 for DNSBLs. The ASRG should no longer presume to interfere in the policies of independent DNSBLs.

Alternativley, you can send an email to asrg(_at_)irtf(_dot_)org.

Thank you very much for your support in the fight for our jobs.

The team of UCEPROTECT Network