Re: [ietf-dkim] Comments on draft-ietf-dkim-implementation-report-01

2010-10-01 12:31:22

On 10/1/2010 10:15 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
The spec simply states that DKIM doesn't require any binding at all.
(Section 1.1)

It occurs to me that this language permits a misinterpretation and that
stronger
and more direct language would be appropriate.

By saying "is not required to match", the current spec leaves open the
possibility that the presence of a match might be taken to be meaningful by
DKIM.

However the reality is that DKIM is literally blind to the relationship between
a d= domain and a domain name in any other field.

I think the text should therefore be revised from:

1.1.  Signing Identity
      INFORMATIVE RATIONALE: The signing identity specified by a DKIM
      signature is not required to match an address in any particular
      header field because of the broad methods of interpretation by
      recipient mail systems, including MUAs.

(hmm.  the use of the term 'address' is probably also inappropriate since it
means email address in the email world, rather than domain name address.)

to be:

1.1.  Signing Identity
      The signing identity specified by a DKIM signature is entirely
independent
of the identities present in any particular header field.  The interpretation
of
a match that is possible between the signing identity and the identifier in
another field is outside the scope of DKIM.

(I've removed the "Informative Rationale" label because the proposed text
really
moves into explanation of the protocol, rather than explanation of its
motivation or the like.)

d/

ps. just so no one is confused:  this does not change the protocol at all; it
merely clarifies a point that is often misunderstood.
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking