Re: [ietf-dkim] l= statistics was 23 again (sorry John) was Output

2011-05-06 11:03:17

John R. Levine wrote:
http://www.opendkim.org/stats/report.html#l_tag

You can see the count that have "l=" smaller than the final message size as
well as the "l=0" ones, and how many of those passed or failed.

That's out of 155972 signatures that used "l=", and 4.36M total signatures
observed, in just over eight months of data.

Hmmn.  If my arithmetic is right, about 95% of l= signatures didn't cover
the whole body, and only a few of those were l=0.  Your users must
subscribe to different mailing lists than I do.

of course, we don't all live in the same levine list world.

What I found in a quick grep scan of ~7000 list messages:

    137 used l= with some value
      3 used l=0 from the same source

More details:

   - Sorted down to 37 domains, 36 unknown, 1 known domain,
   - Except for 1 known, all mail from the 36 was spam,
   - 20 of them had the same patterns but different domains, and
   - the 20 used two signatures, sha1 and sha256

The collection were saved prior to verification so I don't know off
hand if they failed or the actual body counts.

In my network of mail, I will say, l= is used by spammers blasting
list mail to their collected emails addresses to spam.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com