Re: Narrow the scope: no new email signature protocol

2004-10-05 11:17:19

Andrew and Jim,

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:14:17 -0400, Andrew Newton wrote:
 following:  we've been told that time is in short supply and
 that even taking 2 extra months to understand our
 requirements will cause problems.  If that is so, then we
 cannot risk time on a new scheme; we must limit the scope of
 the charter to S/MIME or PGP.

If i have understood the concerns correctly, the suggestion is to
use s/mime or pgp because they are well-established.

There are observations that s/mime and pgp do not

        a) protect headers
        b) use domain-scope identification
        c) DNS-based key validation (or acquisition)
    d) header-based attribute encoding

The response I am hearing is that there are no inherent
difficulties in making the changes to s/mime or pgp to cover
these.

I am not understanding how "making the changes" differs from a
design and development effort.

In other words, pgp and s/mime do not do the necessary job, so
they are not well-established for this use and getting them to
cover this use might well require as much work at choosing
another scheme.

Note that some of the other schemes use well-established
algorithms.  It is in fact in the issues of items a, b c and d,
above, that the create a new service.

So I am not understanding what the benefit is, in starting with
systems that have poor usage histories and inappropriate
identification, key management, data protection, and attribute
encoding.

Please clarify.

d/
--