Re: ADMD (was: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-crocker-email-arch-06.txt)

2007-03-13 12:58:04

I'm also not sure about the utility of the ADMD idea - it seems redundant
to me, or at too high a level without a clear mapping down to the
protocols.

At any point between MTAs in the chain of relays, or between the MUA and
MSA, the message may or may not cross an administrative boundary, and the
recipient MTA may enforce policies on that mail flow. I think the idea of
ADMDs is to clarify these administrative boundaries, but it seems too
vague to me to be useful.

My inclination would be to replace the talk of ADMDs with a list of the
various kinds of client/server connection in the various Internet mail
specifications (RFC 974 SMTP, smart hosts (i.e. traditional outgoing
relays), message submission, non-974 routing (e.g. mailertable), ETRN,
ODMR, batch SMTP, etc.) and classify them according to the kind of
organizational relationships they allow, probably including some
discussion of authentication and authorization and the bullet points from
the section 1.1 overview.

(I'll stop here for now, though I will have more to say later.)

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
LUNDY FASTNET: WEST OR SOUTHWEST 3 OR 4. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SHOWERS DYING OUT.