Re: [IAOC] IETF 72 --> Dublin!

2008-02-06 13:18:33

Dave,

(Reducing the CCs a bit)

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Dave Crocker wrote:

Ole Jacobsen wrote:
Dave,

Not wishing to speak for Ray, let me give some general observations:

1. IETF meetings require BOTH a suitable venue (meeting rooms) AND a
   host organization.

Sorry, but it has been demonstrated that a host is not required.

It has further been demonstrated that the host (or, rather, the sponsor) does
not have to be co-resident with venue.

"Has been demonstrated" does not mean that this is always possible.
And yes, I meant SPONSOR rather than host in the classic sense. We
have indeed had hostless meetings, but a number of factors have to
come together to make this work.

2. The host organization have a large say in location (city)
   selection, for a number of reasons. We are going to Philadelphia
   because that is where the HQ of our host is located, for example.

This has been the classic model, yes, but recently has been
considerably loosened.

Sure, but again, this depends on the host/sponsor. We cannot always
dictate these things --- unless of course we find a completely
DIFFERENT funding model, but that's outside the scope of this
particular discussion.

3. While "isolated" venues may be "problematic", there is always a
   tradeoff between a suitable venue (again meeting rooms) and its
   distance to nearby hotels and other facilities. In the case of
   Dublin, it is anticipated that most attendees will stay in the
   main hotel. Having only been party to some of the discussions
   around this particular venue I can only say that CityWest was
   considered to be by far the best alternative --- in Dublin.

Hence the question about priorities.  Start with declaring Dublin the venue
and
it well might be true that this is the best venue.  Start with a requirement
that the venue have ample resources within walking distance and Dublin well
might be disqualitied.

It was decided that "Europe" was in the rotation cycle this time
around.

CityWest has, from what I understand, a number of bars and restaurants
which will serve us well during the meeting. There will be shuttle
buses (a la Dallas) for the evening. If you found the Dallas venue to
be completely unacceptable (flooding nothwithstanding), then I'm
afraid you'll probably hate CityWest too. Personally I found Dallas to
be just fine.

It's all about priorities.

And no, I would not have queried if I hadn't felt that attendee convenience
were
not the priority that should be highest, but that it appears not to have been
for the Dublin event.

Attendee convienience is a concept we could debate. Having the
majority of the hotel rooms close to the meeting rooms is high on my
list at least.

d/

Ole