Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-09 14:03:05

Jari,

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 12:31:02AM +0300, Jari Arkko wrote:

I think we should not over-analyze the selection process too much. I
support 1-1-1 because its a simple model, it feels right, and
because I believe general IETF participation is headed towards the
1-1-1 model even if we are not there by all measures yet.

I think all these models that are based on where we are from are really
beside the point as where we are from really doesn't necessarily have any
connection with where we like to go.

My preference is to pick meeting sides that have the right capacity for the
IETF meeting and the right infrastructure for a good meeting, are relatively
easy to get to and allow for reasonable attendance cost for my employer.

It is totally fine by me if that means that we end up more often in Asia if
it happens to be easier to get larger venues at a decent price. Quite
frankly, whether my air travel is a few hours more or less is really not
that important in the grander scheme of things especially if the resulting
venue is an excellent and cost effective location with a supportive local
organization team.

At the same time, I expect that the IAOC is made up of intelligent people
and that they wouldn't go completely overboard and have each and every
meeting in only one part of the world. Do we really need these kind of
rigid rules ?

David Kessens
---