Re: voting system for future venues?

2011-08-25 09:35:03
Maybe next we try Ulan Bator, Mongolia

Warm Regards,

Anshuman

Sent from my BlackBerry® Smartphone, regret typo's!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ole Jacobsen <ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Sender: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:33:09
To: Michael Richardson<mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>
Cc: IETF-Discussion list<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject: Re: voting system for future venues?

Michael,

I think we could expect a room block cost similar to that of APRICOT
2009, but the dollar has tanked since then so even "cheap" places in
Asia like this aren't so cheap any longer. And, yes, it would be "hard
go get to" for some value of hard. I wasn't proposing we go there.

As Nathaniel pointed out, some currencies have really risen against
the dollar. It isn't that long ago that the yen was well above 100
to the dollar (the mental calculation point), somewhere in the 110-120
range actually, but TODAY it is at 76-77 yen to the dollar.

So, a hotel room back then (the peak was July 2007 at 123 yen to the
dollar), say at 15,000 yen would cost ~ $121. Today that same room,
still at 15,000 yen will cost ~ $197, heck let's call it $200.

The Sing dollar and Oz dollar have done similar things, Canadian too
:-)

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj
Skype: organdemo

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Michael Richardson wrote:

"Ole" == Ole Jacobsen <ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> writes:
    Ole> The Sofitel Manila is where APRICOT 2009 was held. A great
    Ole> venue, possibly even large enough to hold an IETF (I am not
    Ole> sure), *and* the rate (at the time) at 7,525 Pesos was pretty
    Ole> good. Today it is $177 which is still pretty good. The question
    Ole> is: would the IETF go to the Philippines for a meeting. It's
    Ole> worth finding out.

I can't find a flight that gets me there in less than 2 days from
Canada.  I tried for November.  Most transit US (a -0.5 for me), many
connect in Tokyo or Hong Kong or Seoul... hmm.  travel on Friday is
easier than Saturday.  The price is about the same as I paid for Prague.
The cheapest connects in Guam, which I've always wanted to do.

(Of course, the price to Tokyo or Hong Kong or Seoul will be higher..)

But, what will the price be, once we get our "block"?

--
]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls
[