Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

2011-08-30 15:01:11
On 8/23/11 9:24 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

So I'm opposed to a USD 200 (or any other number) firm limit on
hotel rates.  At the same time, I continue to wish that the IAOC
would be more open with the community about how these decisions
are made and, in particular, how the tradeoffs between
sponsorship (and hence lower costs to the IETF for meeting
infrastructure and arrangements) and meetings costs to attendees
are made... open enough that the community could give
substantive guidance on the subject, guidance that I assume the
IAOC would follow if it were coherent and plausible.

Quite right. There's more than just the hotel rates.

My budget is about $2500 US per IETF meeting. That has to cover airfare, the IETF meeting fee, the hotel, meals, service charges, ground transport, mobile phone roaming, incidentals, etc.

$300 a night counting taxes and surcharge is just ABSOLUTELY OUT OF THE FREAKING QUESTION. Having the "backup" hotel a 10 minute taxi ride away is out of the question -- I can't afford taxis. If I can't walk, I can't go.

So guess what? I told the wife last night that I wasn't planning to go to the Taiwan meeting. I wanted to go, but I just don't see how it can happen. Maybe I'll win the lottery between now and then...

I'm disappointed. I'm hurt. I'm angry. And the trend has just been getting worse and worse with every venue. I want the IAOC's heads on a platter (preferably an inexpensive, disposable platter, like maybe the lid off an old pizza box) for signing us up to this venue. And I want a travel budget no larger than mine for the people we send to future meetings.

If we can't find a reasonably inexpensive place to have a meeting, DON'T HAVE THE MEETING!

--
Dean Willis