Re: Project Proposal: DNS Licensing Look UP - AntiSpam and IP licensing Lookup Additions as text records in DNS

2013-11-20 08:21:29

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/hamilton-man-hounded-by-telemarketers-says-crtc-can-t-help-1.1353837

In October 2012, the CRTC fined two Indian software companies a total
$507,000 for calling Canadians registered on the do-not-call-list. Rosen
says the CRTC has imposed $3 million in fines since 2008 for similar
violations. The difference is that the software companies weren't
concealing their identities.

The fine was uncollectable, and the calls continue.
(For me, about 4-6 calls/week for 3-4 weeks, and then a break of 2 months)

The thing is, if the CRTC was serious, it would take this to the ITU and WTO,
and it would be part of the TPP negotiations.   Concurrently, it would simply
apply "Usenet death penalty" to PSTN links to India.

Since the incumbent telco's 611 service and operations is offshored there, I
think that the incumbent telco would very rapidly find a way to prosecute in
*India*.  Consider the reaction of the Indian government if none of their
call centres could call Canada anymore?

How is this relevant to spam?   Spam is typically harder than telemarketing
to track down, and we don't have the legal houzpaz to deal with
telemarketing.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works