Re: Project Proposal: DNS Licensing Look UP - AntiSpam and IP licensing Lookup Additions as text records in DNS

2013-11-20 10:44:35
On 11/20/2013 8:21 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
If you can do "friending" in a federated environment, which is really not all
that hard to do, then you have control over the user agent and the transport, so nobody
can inject ads.   It is because we haven't done this yet

After 20 years of anti-spam work and experience, we really do need to find a way to have folk refrain from believing that any proposal can be simple and effective "if only" we have the resolve. The lack of participant "resolve" is not a minor obstacle easily overcome. It's a showstopper.

This is a complex behavioral space and it is no easier to 'eliminate' spam than it is to eliminate crime.

As for eliminating ads, please point to the track record of success for an alternative approach in the real world, at scale. Every imaginable other model has been tried. Successes have been few and limited.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking