Re: the ancient location question, was IETF-91 Question

2014-08-13 07:22:49
Ted,

On 2014-08-13 14:11, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Aug 13, 2014, at 12:08 AM, manning bill <bmanning(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu> wrote:
the number of folks who are -required- to do cross-area review are generally
paid to commit the time for IETF work.
so thats not a big issue.  committed old-timers will do it anyway.

I don't like flying to 3 ietfs a year.   I wouldn't fly to nine.   And
committed old timers retire.   If you break up the organization, where does the
next generation of committed old-timers come from?   And anyway, what makes you
think it's the committed old-timers who are the ones who should be doing the
cross-area reviews?   Sometimes they are, but sometimes it's someone new to the
organization who's needed for a particular review, and if the participants
don't know each other, that person won't get tapped.

While I agree that it is not a godd idea to break the IETF up I'd
don't think "where do the nexr generation old timers come from" holds
water. Look at e.g. ITU-T that are broken up in many piece that are
smaller than the comparable level in the organization  opf IETF, these
piece meet both independently and somewhat jointly, and they are good at
producing "old timers"

/Loa

--

Loa Andersson                        email:
loa(_at_)mail01(_dot_)huawei(_dot_)com