Re: WG adoption threads

2015-08-03 22:43:29
Reading this thread makes me think of two points:

First, as a WG chair, I don't usually count messages. Or if I do, it's as
trivia more than anything else. I do care about the collective sentiment
(I.e. Consensus) and I care deeply about anything that might qualify as a
material issue. An adoption poll is really just a semi-organized period of
time during which I'll evaluate these more concertedly.

Second, when I ask the WG about adoption of a draft I try to indicate
whether I think consensus exists to adopt. I interpret responses in that
context. So, if I say that I think there is consensus to adopt then a bunch
of people agreeing with me doesn't mean much. But it's an opportunity to
hear material objections. I don't usually waste the WG's time on polls
unless I think there is consensus, but I suppose variations on this process
could work for other chairs.

Cheers,
-Benson

On Monday, August 3, 2015, Melinda Shore