Re: WG adoption threads

2015-08-05 16:51:11
I think the proposed standard push is probably due that we don't have proper modern documentation statuses for today's avalanche of communications methods. I had once suggested that we might need a status called "Internet Method" (IM) that is not a standard but its also not an experiment and we wish it to be stronger than information status. The current PS status generally trumps all other ideas and work within the IETF. There is no competition any more for ideas. However, we have brilliant folks out there that simply wish to document, get on the record, and/or propose a new or enhanced method of doing things. It really doesn't have a "standard" per se that requires such a high bar and threshold of endorsements across the board. Because of that high threshold, I believe there has been a tendency to "rubber stamp and fast track" things that has became highly skeptical for many.

My view.