Re: processing emails that bounce.

2002-05-22 17:24:52

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

What don't you understand about the prospect that mailing lists rejecting
posts from non-subscribers being a good thing?  It avoids most spam

I agree with you and when asked, always make the same recommendation;)

Go manage a large mailing list with an international audience sometime and

I tried some 20k-30k subscriber mailings with Sendmail. For me, the
performance of unique deliveries is worth the overhead and discussion
lists like it zippity also. It is good there are different tools for
different applications and policies.

On the subject of bouncing email you might get a hoot out of this. I
have some Smartlist based mailing lists and they use Qmail for delivery,
but Sendmail for the sub/unsubscribe and other administrative stuff.
Apparently a list maintainer, a responsible computer professional, had
some trouble last night with his maintainer email address and mail to
it bounced back as undeliverable. Smartlist redirects all administrative
and bounced emails to the maintainer's address, which in this case
generated another bounce. While I slept, that machine ran a consistent
average of 1.2Mbps. I _hate_ it when that happens!:*(

Cheers,

--Paul

--
William J. Broad: "The crux... is that the vast majority of the mass
of the universe seems to be missing."