Re: processing emails that bounce.

2002-05-22 19:09:16

and bounced emails to the maintainer's address, which in this case
generated another bounce. While I slept, that machine ran a consistent
average of 1.2Mbps. I _hate_ it when that happens!:*(

Buggeroo.

At the tail end of my listowner filter, I deliver to the listowner, and in doing so, change the envelope sender:

:0
! -f mailer-daemon(_at_)somedomain(_dot_)tld $LISTOWNER

(where $LISTOWNER was a passed or parsed argument identifying the actual address for the listowner delivery)

In this way, the listowner delivery failures don't bounce back through to the listowner. Well, unless the listowner is a hoser with a cheezeball MTA that sends errors to arbitrary addresses. The messages also have an X-Loop header which is checked for early on as well, so re-delivery loops are also addressed.