Re: processing emails that bounce.

2002-05-23 20:00:39
At 19:30 2002-05-23 -0700, Paul Thomas did say:
> owner-listname:             listadmin(_at_)their_domain(_dot_)tld

Ah. Smartlist doesn't use the owner-listname: concept. There once a
suggestion to put something at the bottom of the rc.request file that
might accomplish something similar once.

Going far afield here, but just to complete this, WHAT does Smartlist use for envelope sender on the messages it resends - does it toss the listowner's own address in there, or the list address itself? Tossing the listowner's own address in there seems ugly (the listowner may change, and old messages will continue to bounce to the old listowner, or there may be multiple admins, etc), and the lists' own address has some negative connotations for bounce handling.

When doing this sort of thing, does Procmail intercept the incoming
email before Sendmail has had a chance to attach the Return-Path: ?

For the listowner, the From_ is unscathed. For the list, sendmail has already set the From_ to the owner-listname on entry to the list alias, so the similar handler scripts there rely on X-Envelope-From, with great success.