Re: processing emails that bounce.

2002-05-23 21:05:42

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

Going far afield here, but just to complete this, WHAT does Smartlist use
for envelope sender on the messages it resends - does it toss the
listowner's own address in there, or the list address itself?  Tossing the
listowner's own address in there seems ugly (the listowner may change, and
old messages will continue to bounce to the old listowner, or there may be
multiple admins, etc), and the lists' own address has some negative
connotations for bounce handling.

Smartlist doesn't bother with any listowner's till later. In the
/etc/aliases file, there is:

listname: "|exec.bla.bla.ba"
listname-request: "|exec.bla.bla.ba"

Listname-request handles all administrative requests, i.e.,
sub/unsubscribe, help, info, etc. as well as bouncing emails. It has
always been this way.

Adding an 'owner-listname:' to the whole mess isn't rocket science,
however a suitable 'owner-listname:' filter will need to be put together.
If I get something together, I'll offer it up to the Smartlist bunch for
consideration.

When doing this sort of thing, does Procmail intercept the incoming
email before Sendmail has had a chance to attach the Return-Path: ?

For the listowner, the From_ is unscathed.  For the list, sendmail has
already set the From_ to the owner-listname on entry to the list alias, so
the similar handler scripts there rely on X-Envelope-From, with great success.

My anti-virus application relies on the Return-Path: to determine the actual
address of the Sender for notification of infection as the From_ and From: are
more easily forgible by the virus. Also, the absence of a Return-Path: may
account for Smartlist's poor ability to discern the appropriate address to
unsubscribe automatically. Hopefully this much isn't too offtopic, just a
little application specific;)

Thanks,

--Paul

--
William J. Broad: "The crux... is that the vast majority of the mass
of the universe seems to be missing."