Re: processing emails that bounce.

2002-05-23 18:39:20
At 17:53 2002-05-23 -0700, Paul Thomas did say:
> (where $LISTOWNER was a passed or parsed argument identifying the actual
> address for the listowner delivery)

G-thanks! Seems I vaguely remeber a similar suggestion on the Smartlist
mailing list along time ago. Maybe $LISTOWNER is Majordomo speak or
something but it is no doubt applicable.

owner-listname context. $LISTOWNER is merely a variable set WITHIN the procmail script to contain the passed or otherwise parsed or looked up, etc, list manager address.

Basically, the original alias syntax (in sendmail) would have been:

owner-listname:             listadmin(_at_)their_domain(_dot_)tld

and rewritten to be under the control of a listowner pre-filter:

owner-listname: "|/usr/local/bin/procmail -m /etc/procmailrcs/listowner.rc
 listadmin(_at_)their_domain(_dot_)tld listname"

(the listname is passed as an optional second argument - gives _POSITIVE_ id to the list which is being filtered, since the filters extract list-specific handling options from a file)

There's a similar alias change for the lists themselves to stuff a filter in front, but in those cases, the final delivery is understood to be a program, so the default rule delivers through a pipe instead (and doesn't diddle with changing the sender).