Re: Kind of annoying.

2002-06-14 17:08:06
At 22:52 2002-06-14 +0200, A.T.Z. did say:

I don't remember why or where but I've seen a website somewhere which explains why it's bad to have replies go to the list.

At a minimum, for the regular users, it removes their ability to easily followup to certain users _offlist_. You hit [REPLY], the message is addressed to the list. Hit [REPLY ALL], and the message is addressed to the list and to whomever it was originally addressed to -- most likey, the list.

Without the list-centric Reply-To, [REPLY] will go to the author, and [REPLY ALL] will go to the author and to where they sent their copy (most likely, the list). This gives respondants an option to offlist a reply. OTOH, it also increases the chance that a lazy respondant will send their reply to the list AND to the previous respondant, even though the person to whom they are replying to is very likely on the list they're participating on.

Then, there are folks like myself (and a few others on this list), who would rather that offlist replies were in fact a deliberate act on the part of the person sending the reply, since so many offlist replies tend to be newbie continuations of discussions which should remain on the list -- participation here doesn't constitute an offer to provide one-on-one technical support. Directing replies to the list resolves that. Users needing to contact someone directly offlist can do so as easily as they can address any other message, but it is removed from being the default reply action within their mail client.

For small lists, reply-to the list is useful because of their "community" nature. As a list grows, and OT tangents become more commonplace - and the sheer mail volume more of a problem - directing replies to the list shares more traits with the problem set than the solution.

Seen some very ugly mailloops when braindead autoresponders responded on their own out of the office messages.

Seeing as braindead autoresponders often don't reply to the reply-to header (or the envelope sender for that matter, which is most appropriate), this is difficult to avoid. Pre-filtering list submissions through a filter which identifies such "out of office" messages is generally the best available solution. Wanna guess what email processing tool I do that with? <g>

For those who think they are treated badly by more experienced users, please read the following:

Great link! I hadn't realized Eric had written up that FAQ (he's the maintainer of the Jargon File <http://www.tuxedo.org/jargon>). It's now linked from the top of my procmail pages.