Re: Auto reply?

2003-04-29 17:07:14
I'm normally a top-poster but I'll bottom post this once:

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 17:20, Tony L. Svanstrom wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 the voices made Fuzzy Logic write:

FL> Do show me an example of the netiquette which suggests bottom-posting, and
FL> I'll bet I can find another which suggests top-posting.

 From RFC 1855 - Netiquette guidelines; 3.1.1 General Guidelines for mailing
lists and NetNews:

*SNIP*

# A reason given by stubborn top-posters: they don't like to scroll to read
the
# new message. We like to disagree here, because we always have to scroll down
# to see the original message and after that to scroll back up, just to see to
# what they are replying to. As a result you have to scroll twice as much when
# reading a top-poster's message. As a counterargument they say (believe us
they do):
# "You can check the previous message in the discussion". This is even more
# tiresome than scrolling and with the unreliable nature of Usenet (and even
# email is inevitably unreliable), the previous message in the discussion can
# be simply unavailable.

I have been posting to usenet and mailing lists for over ten years now.
I have to admit, if you are using a threaded newsreader, or mail client,
it is MUCH easier to follow a thread if people top post.  However, if
you are not using a threaded client, then I think that you should find
one, if saving time is important to you.  That's what this argument is
ultimately about, isn't it?  Using a threaded email client (I use
Evolution), I can follow this entire thread, which is certainly one of
the longest posted to this list in quite a while, from start to finish
without scrolling any posts at all - unless people bottom post.  (Like
this post for example.)  The bottome line is, there is no best
solution.  No way of doing it is going to make everyone's lives better
and allow us to live a few extra minutes longer at the end of our
lives.  So get on with it.

And if I made it into anyone's kill file, well, that's the breaks.